rice and coconut milk smoothie
makes 24 ounces (4 6 ounce servings)
what you need:
½ cup aborrio rice
1 cup water
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 cup (unsweetened) coconut milk
1 cup crushed ice
5 ounces chopped fruit (strawberries, mango, bananas, or pineapple or a combination)
fresh fruit (as needed for garnish)
fresh pineapple mint leaves (as needed for garnish)
fresh edible flowers (as needed for garnish)
- Cook Rice. Place rice and water in a saucepan over medium-high flame. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until cooked. If the water is almost gone, but the rice is not cooked, turn off the flame and place the lid on the saucepan. The carryover heat will finish cooking the rice. Let the rice cool slightly.
- Purée. Place the rice, sugar, coconut milk, and fresh fruit in a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until very smooth and the rice is completely puréed. If you prefer, you can use the fruit as a garnish rather than a primary ingredient in the smoothie. Either way, you can store in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy.
- Add Ice. Add ice and blend until smooth.
- Adjust Consistency. If smoothie is too thick (and you like the flavor), add a little more ice to thin. If it is too thick and you want to bump up the flavor, add a little more coconut milk (you can sweeten it a little with stevia, agave nectar or more brown sugar if necessary).
- Garnish. Add fresh fruit and/or fresh herbs/flowers in a beautiful way.
More recipes for runners