summer melon gazpacho
makes 3 cups plus garnish (serves 4-6)
what you need:
1 ½ cup (300 ml) watermelon juice from one red, ripe watermelon
15 ounces (430 g) chopped ripe cantaloupe
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
¼ cup small dice watermelon
¼ cup small dice cantaloupe
¼ cup small dice tomato
¼ cup small dice cucumber, peeled
1 teaspoon minced fresh sweet basil
pinch kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice (and to taste)
1 teaspoon olive oil (and to taste)
- Prepare Garnish. Small dice (brunoise) watermelon, cantaloupe, tomato, and cucumber (¼ cup of each). Place in a bowl with the minced basil. Add a pinch of salt, lime juice, and olive oil (to taste). Mix together gently. Cover and place in the refrigerator to keep cold.
- Juice Watermelon. Rough chop the remaining watermelon flesh. Make juice from the chopped watermelon by pressing it through a sieve or strainer. Discard any seeds and fibers. Set juice aside. You should yield 12 ounces (300 ml) watermelon juice.
- Purée Cantaloupe. Dice cantaloupe and place in a tall canister (to use with an immersion blender), a blender or a food processor. Add watermelon juice and lime juice. Purée until smooth.
- Strain Purée. Pour the purée into a china cap or strainer (not fine mesh) to eliminate chunks.
- Chill. Chill purée in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Stir well before serving.
- Garnish And Serve. Add 1 tablespoon of garnish into each (chilled) serving cup or glass. Pour in purée until ⅔ full. Serve cold.