roasted brussels sprouts and chestnuts
what you need:
1/2 cup lardon or pancetta, cubed
1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
12 chestnuts, steamed and halved (shells and skins removed)
olive oil (as needed)
kosher salt (as needed)
freshly ground black pepper (as needed)
- Prepare Chestnuts. Cut in half.
- Partially Cook Lardon or Pancetta. In a cast iron skillet (or in the microwave on paper towels), cook the pancetta or lardon until the meat has pinked up. Do not cook all the way and do not cook until crispy. Drain on paper towels. This step is merely to eliminate the majority of the animal fat.
- Prepare Brussels Sprouts. Wash and dry brussels sprouts. Cut in half lengthwise. Add to bowl with chestnuts. Add drained pancetta or lardon.
- Coat With Oil. Coat the brussels sprouts and chestnuts lightly with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place in a baking dish.
- Roast. Roast in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a wooden spoon to toss the brussels sprouts, chestnuts, and meat to ensure even cooking. Cook until the brussels sprouts are slightly browned and some of the edges are crisp.