Alsacian slaw with lardons and apples
what you need:
1/2 pound (8 ounces) thinly sliced green cabbage
4 ounces diced granny smith apples
5 ounces diced lardons
1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon rendered lardon fat (optional)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sel de Guérande or fleur de sel
- Cook Lardons. Heat a pan over a medium-high flame. Add the lardons and cook. Drain lardons on paper towels. Reserve the lardon fat in the pan. Once cool, dice lardons and set aside.
- Combine. In a bowl combine the cabbage, lardons, apples, and parsley.
- Acid. Place vinegar in a bowl.
- Oil. Whisk in oil and lardon fat.
- Season. Add honey, cream, salt and pepper. Mix well using a whisk, a food processor or an immersion blender.
- Dress Salad. Slowly incorporate the dressing into the salad.
- Chill. Place dressed salad in the refrigerator for at least one hour (salad will store for a few days in the refrigerator and can be made in advance.
- Adjust Seasoning. Adjust seasoning if necessary
- Serve. Serve chilled.