arugula, herb and apple mille-feuille
what you need:
1 crisp red apple, thinly sliced and seeds removed
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 cup fresh tarragon leaves (stripped from the stems)
1 cup fresh dill (stripped from the stems)
4 cups wild arugula
fresh lime juice (as needed)
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon sel de Guérande (or other quality sea salt)
2 teaspoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Make Herb Salad. Combine all greens in a bowl. Slice apples and rub flesh with lime juice to prevent discoloration.
- Prepare Dressing. Place mustard, lime juice, and cumin in a bowl. Whisk in oil. Add salt and shallots. Mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside until service (dress herb salad immediately before service or it will get soggy).
- Dress Salad. Slowly add the dressing to the herb salad, tossing the greens so that they are lightly coated.
- Plate. Place an apple slice on a plate. Add a small handful of greens on top of the apple slice. Add another apple slice on top of the greens. Add a second layer of greens followed by a third apple slice.
- Serve. Serve immediately on a chilled plate.